“Protect your nestlings with every ounce of courage and ferocity you can muster. Whether it be Monsanto or a kitty cat, zip in in a whir of flashy feathers and nip them on the nether regions–just like this! Aha!”
–Oh, Mockingbird! Yes. I do get your point, and so, unfortunately, does little Miss Winky. Poor Kitty Cat.
Gratitude List (the typical 5, plus a few bonus from an amazing weekend with my gang of college friends and their children):
1. Lasting friendships, powerful in their intentionality and their serendipity
2. Scott’s rock and sand collection
4. A happy gang of kids, riding bikes, playing games, swimming, giggling, sharing jokes. . .
5. Being part of the cold and broken hallelujah (Leonard Cohen)
6. Late late night conversations around the fire, sharing the bitter/sweets
7. Walking out of the labyrinth
8. This moment: We were sitting around in the shade yesterday morning discussing shame and the impact it has on our parenting, and how it is used in schools. Before long three of the children had gathered with us in the circle, and they started telling us their own ideas about effective and ineffective behavior management in school, about what seems fair and right and what is a violation of their sense of self.
9. Taking pictures of the fire with Luke
10. Africa House, where we stayed
May all beings be blessed.