1. The first tomato sandwich! That crusty, yeasty brown bread and an Iron Lady tomato with sharp cheddar and mayo and salt. Oh my, oh my, oh my. . .
2. Was it Andrea who said something at break today about a man who said that when he was a boy he could hear corn growing? Like a whistling sound, he told her. I love that so much.
3. Life force. That corn up there in #2, and the mung bean sprouts that Ellis grew this week, how they pushed up the lids, and then grew an extra half inch in a hour this morning.
4. The old, old woman from my dream last night. Her name is Grafa. “Sometimes I wake up in the night and fling off the covers,” she tells me. “I wake up in the middle of the night just to tweak the energy a bit.” Grafa–writing or drawing? From Old Norse or Proto-Germanic (according to Wiktionary), means to dig, to bury, to engrave.
5. The random way that Joss throws words together or sings a word repeatedly while he’s playing, just for the fun of the sounds. “My teeth are devious!” “My foot of God.” “Nairobi, Nairobi, Nairobi!”
May we walk in beauty.