Home again, home again, from a lovely five days in Stone Harbor, NJ. Instead of trying to whittle my Gratitude List from all those days down to five, or even ten, here is a list of general joys from the trip:
1. Getting the Farmer off the farm. Watching him relax.
2. We got there in time to see the massive flock of swallows snapping up insects on a short pit stop on their southward journey. By mid-day Friday, they’d gone south.
3. The full moon over my right shoulder, and the sun leaping out of the early morning waves in front of me, and the season changing (certainly at that very moment) to Autumn.
4. Monarchs. So few, so few. But still. Some.
6. Trash scavenging treasures: a beach rake, another beach umbrella in really good shape, a boogie board. Call me a vulture.
7. Josiah opened the screen door on Friday morning: “Now we’re open for love and business.”
10. Sylvester’s Fish Market, Nemo’s, Tortilla Flats, Uncle Bill’s Pancake House. In other words, good eating.
11. There were no more throwing up incidents after we got there. We needed to get rid of that old car seat anyway. Now we have a nice new booster.
12. Big shovels to dig massive holes with. As soon as they had a good hole, the boys would start nesting, creating sand shelves for their tools, making roads for the construction equipment. . .
14. Making drip castles with Ellis.
15. The way the boys hum quietly to themselves as they play in the sand, as they swim in the pool.
16. Ellis jumping off the sand ridge into the water, into the sun.
17. Watching my child’s eyes when he realized that he had just kept himself afloat in the pool.
18. You know what I mean about the sun-road on the waves? I love how it always appears to lead directly to me.
May we walk that road in Beauty.