I saw a photo the other day of a list that someone had made of people who inspired her. She’d written the names by hand, artistically. That was part of what caught my attention, but the idea of keeping a running list of people who inspire me has really grabbed hold of me. I plan to start a list right away. When I get to one hundred names or so, I’ll look it over and see if I can discern themes and ideas that give me some clues to what I hold dear. And I want to make sure that there’s variety there.
If you want to join me, here are some ideas to get us started. You can list several names in each category, of course:
Someone in your immediate family.
A revolutionary person who helped to change the world.
Someone who changed the world quietly, behind the scenes.
A musician or band.
A great thinker.
A historical figure.
A novelist and/or a poet.
Make sure that you have a good representation of gender, a good mix of races, of countries of origin, of historical periods.
Hmm. How about a fictional character or two?
A religious or spiritual teacher.
A dancer or other athlete.
What other categories might you choose?
1. The cardinal in the top of the chestnut tree singing, “Pretty, Pretty, sweeeEEEt, sweeEEET!”
2. Afternoon sun on chicken feathers
3. Walking between worlds. Not sure how else to describe it. Holding your story and yours and yours. Being here, but there, too.
4. Iron. I know I need more of it. The Earth supplies it.
5. How everything and everyone changes and evolves, even me, to become more and more ourownselves.
May we walk in Beauty.