There will be days, Bright Spirits,
when you will not know which way to go,
when the voices will tell you to follow a path
where light shines righteously through branches
and others are striding with purpose.
“This is the right way, the truest path,”
they will call to you, and they will wave their hands
and motion you to join them on their journey.
But you will sense something lurking there
in the hard, sharp edges of the light
and you will know that it is not your road.
But how will you know your own way?
Follow Love. It will never lead you false.
It may whisper to you from the shadows
of a little-trodden tracks through brambles,
or call you across the wide and shining spaces
over rocky mountain passes,
leaving cairns and altars
to help you find your way.
Follow the roads where Love calls you.
Love will guide you where you must go.
1. The team of teachers and support staff and administrators who care for our children. They pay attention, they notice, they plan and adapt and respond to the children’s needs. It makes me want to commit even more fully to notice each of my own students with clarity and intention.
2. First family fire in the fire pit. Making s’mores.
3. My first view this morning when I opened my eyes was a windowful of pink, where the dogwood tree is vigorously blooming.
4. In-service day. Yesterday’s in-service offered some good time to collaborate, and learn from, and bond with colleagues. I really do like the people I work with.
5. The flock of deer that ran across the road and leapt the stream into the bosque. (My family tells me that I must call them a herd, but I feel like a herd is thunky and stolid, but a flock is fluttery and wispy, like the deer that crossed my road. So my family will have to put up with my word.)
May we walk in Beauty! May the rains water the earth and refresh us all.