“Only you and I can help the sun rise each coming morning. If we don’t, it may drench itself out in sorrow. You special, miraculous, unrepeatable, fragile, fearful, tender, lost, sparkling ruby emerald jewel, rainbow splendor person. It’s up to you.” —Joan Baez
“You can tell people of the need to struggle, but when the powerless start to see that they really can make a difference, nothing can quench the fire.”
― Leymah Gbowee
“Do not be afraid to include other people in your story, to ask others to hold the light for you in times of darkness and pain. This is a grace and a gift you offer them, to allow another the honor of walking beside you on the path, in silence or in song, no matter how treacherous the journey.” —Beth Weaver-Kreider, 2012
“When you realize the Earth is so much more than simply your environment, you’ll be moved to protect her in the same way as you would yourself. This is the kind of awareness, the kind of awakening that we need, and the future of the planet depends on whether we’re able to cultivate this insight or not. The Earth and all species on Earth are in real danger. Yet if we can develop a deep relationship with the Earth, we’ll have enough love, strength and awakening in order to change our way of life.”
—Thich Nhat Hanh
“It is a wholesome and necessary thing for us to turn again to the earth and in the contemplation of her beauties to know the sense of wonder and humility.” —Rachel Carson
1. The girls and women of Sense of Wonder Camp. What a lovely morning. After we talked about the life of Wangari Maathai, they each got a tree to take home. They immediately started naming their trees. One red oak sapling was almost completely leafless. I said, “This one needs a lot of love.” A girl next to me said, “That’s the one I am taking. I have a lot of love to give.”
2. Role models, mentors, and heras. Rachel Carson, Leymah Gbowee, Wangari Maathai, Sojourner Truth, Harriet Tubman, you.
3. Sycamore, oak, maple, beech, magnolia, redbud, walnut, poplar, acacia, frangipanni, baobab. . .
4. The wisdom of young women and girls
5. This quiet summer morning rain.
May we walk in Beauty!